Thursday, January 24, 2013

Down Time

I think I had a 1-day flu or something. Tuesday
I felt terrible, but today, I'm whole lot better. 
For the past couple days I've been forced to stay home with some some sort of virus. Achy like the flu, congested and stuffy, you know...the works. I'm sure that part of the reason why I crashed was because I was burning the candle at both ends; starting early in the morning and getting done late at night. It's just not a recipe for good health. Nevertheless, I was forced to go home, go to bed early, and get some rest. I'm feeling a lot better today, but I know that this is a recovery day, not the time to go head-long back in to all-out office time.

Being down has made me think about people who are down emotionally, spiritually. What do you do when you're down? Being down forces you to take inventory and assess where you are and why. But being down is also a good time to take action, and handle some personal business. There are some things that you've been putting off or even ignoring that really need to be done.

Here's what I need to do.
  1. School starts in just a few days, and I've been putting off filling out these financial aid forms and scholarship applications. I need money for school, and I'm way behind.
  2. I gotta clean this house. My wife gave me specific instructions before she left for the inauguration and she'll be back in a few days too. There's no way I'm gonna let her see this mess.
  3. I need to finish this post...and I'm actually supposed to be working on book #4 right now. My editor is waiting.
There so much that I need to, but how about you? What are you gonna do with your down time? 

Make a list of those things that you've been putting
off. Then commit yourself to tackling them one by one.
Now that you have a little time off from work, this is a good time to get it done. House repairs? Read that new book? Look for another job? You've been taking care of your mom for years, don't you think this is a good time to go back to school now that she's passed away? You spent your whole life caring for your kids and now they're gone, don't you think it's a good time to do something to refill your cup (Hi Mom!). You're on house arrest for a really stupid decision, well then maybe now is a good time to start building a new circle of friends and new habits. You just had a really nasty break-up. You thought this one was "the one," but apparently not. Maybe now's a good time to become "the right one" rather than resume the search to find "the right one."

The clock's ticking. Down time doesn't last forever. How will you spend yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment